Monday 13 May 2013

A busy time...

Well...what a busy time I've been having as Aberdeenshire Reader in Residence. I've  been working with old and young and everyone in between.
The National Trust for Scotland has launched a new 500 word short story competition for Primary and Secondary schools. Children are invited to write a new fairytale for Craigievar Castle (including at least two facts about the Castle in the story). I'm very excited about judging this competition and also about attending the prize-giving event in September where I'll be reading the winning entries and doing a bit of storytelling.
I had a great time as a guest at the SHMU radio station in Aberdeen.  I was featured on their Saturday night Literature show and gave some readings from my own work in between some of my favourite musical tracks. It was such fun - a kind of Desert Island Discs...
I caught the train to Edinburgh and had a lovely day at the Scottish Book Trust offices with the other four Readers in Residence. Each Reader in Residence gave a ten minute presentation, and it was great to hear what everyone had been up to and to share our news. 
Aberdeen University was the venue for last Wednesday's 'Grampian Children's Book Award' celebrations. I was MC for the day amidst a lot of excitement and anticipation . The winner was Patrick Ness with 'A Monster Calls'.

No comments:

Post a Comment